Summer is coming to an end for us this week, but the temperatures are hotter than ever and Ice Cream is top of mind. Caramelized Peach Ice Cream is the perfect combination of fresh farmers market peaches, a dash of cinnamon and brown sugar custard!
We have had the best summer; travel, playtime with friends and family, quiet mornings, lots of baking, farmers markets and so much more. Although I love the routine of school, I am not sure I am ready to give up our slow mornings, but ready or not, school is here starting this week!
I am embracing the last few days and trying to stay cool, Caramelized Peach Ice Cream is the way to end the summer. These peaches were a farmers market find and we put them to good use, some were enjoyed fresh and the rest we caramelized up for the best Ice Cream ever!
The peaches are caramelized in light brown sugar, butter and a dash of cinnamon. Once the peaches are cooled, they can be folded into the homemade Brown Sugar Ice Cream base.
Caramelized Peach Ice Cream
- Brown Sugar Ice Cream Base
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- ¾ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 Tbsp Bourbon
- Caramelized Peaches
- 2 Large Peaches, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Whisk together the light brown sugar, egg yolks and bourban; set aside
- In a medium saucepan, combine heavy cream and milk; bring to a simmerl
- Temper the eggs by whisking ¼ cup of heavy cream mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the egg mixture into the remaining heavy cream mixture in the saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously until the ice cream base thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove any cooked egg yolks and then pour the ice cream base into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow it to come to room temperature
- Once the custard is at room temperature, refrigerate the custard for 3-4 hours to thicken
- Pour the Ice Cream into an ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Add the caramelized peaches into the ice cream machine when the ice cream is starting to thicken
- Allow the ice cream to completely freeze
- Pour the ice cream into an airtight container or metal loaf pan and place in the freezer until ready to use
- Caramelized Peaches:
- In a saute pan, melt the butter
- Add in the chopped peaches, brown sugar and cinnamon
- Stir until the peaches are soft and the sugar is bubbling
- Remove from the heat and allow the peaches to cool completely and then place in the refrigerator to chill
Shop My Kitchen