Nutella and almond swirled in a fluffy pillow of goodness making Nutella Almond Meringue Cookies pure perfection!Nutella Almond Meringue cookies…Ahhhhhh! That is kind of how I feel when making them and when taking my first bite out of them. They are light, crispy, chewy, airy, sweet and really all the textures that you could dream of all wrapped up in one cookie.
There is a technique that needs to be followed that make a meringue cookie great! There are only a few ingredients that make these sweet treats, but they sure can be finicky to make (practice makes perfect)!
Egg whites is the main ingredient that needs to be whipped to stiff peak for the first step. Allow the egg whites to get full volume will make give these cookies the crunchy outside, chewy center and will keep whatever shape you choose to make your cookies into. Adding the sugar in parts in the next most important part to guarantee that you don’t deflate the egg whites that you just worked so hard to get perfect! Add one cup of sugar in the mixer and then fold the remaining half cup with a spatula…don’t cheat this step.
Heres the great part, Meringue Cookies are like marshmallows, you can basically add in any flavor that you love. In order to keep the meringue fluffy, choose a lighter ingredient such as an extract, chopped nuts, melted chocolate and you don’t need a lot to make the flavor come through. We love Nutella in my family so naturally Nutella Almond Meringue Cookies are a huge hit. I added a hint of almond extract, swirled Nutella and crushed almonds for texture.
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F. Baking meringue cookies on a low temperature will give the crunch, chewy center and keep the cookies white and beautiful. Here;s the thing, if it is humid outside, they will get sticky and you might need to keep them in a closed oven overnight. This is where they are finicky, and bake time could change.
- 6 egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup nutella spread
- ½ cup sliced almonds, crushed
- Preheat oven to 200 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixer with whisk attachment, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy and stiff peaks form.
- Reduce the speed on the mixer and slowly add in 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- Once the sugar is fully combined and the eggs become a little glossy, add in the almond extract.
- When you have stiff peaks, stop the mixer and gently fold in the remaining ½ cup of sugar.
- Scoop the meringue into 3" rounds onto a lined baking sheet
- Swirl nutella spread into each meringue, be gentle while swirling so the meringue does not deflate
- Sprinkle the top of each meringue with chopped almonds
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until the cookies have dried out.
- Remove from the oven, allow the cookies to cool
- store in an airtight container until ready to serve.