Rise and Shine with the very Best Homemade Blueberry Muffins. Super easy to make and the most delicious flavor and texture, these muffins are made with fresh blueberries, a dash of lemon zest and buttermilk and you are going to love them.
Simple, easy, delicious are the three words that describe The Best Homemade Blueberry Muffins. Simple ingredients, easy step by step directions and the most delicious fresh flavor. Made with fresh blueberries, the perfect amount of lemon zest and a buttery crumble topping that finishes these off just right.
This Homemade Blueberry Muffins Recipe makes for an easy breakfast, snack and even an after dinner sweet treat. Since school has started we are making sure that there are quick options for a busy morning and hungry after school snacking. If you are looking for more options for a fast and easy breakfast, you will also love this Classic Banana Bread Recipe or the most delicious Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Simple pantry staples make up the ingredient list for these Homemade Blueberry Muffins.
All-Purpose Flour- There is no need for any fancy flours for this recipe, all-purpose flour is a pantry staple and the stabilizer for these muffins.
Granulated Sugar- The perfect sweetener for these blueberry muffins. You can always use light brown sugar to a more caramelized flavor, but it will change the texture and consistency of these muffins.
Baking Powder- The leavening agent for the muffins. Do not replace this with baking soda, you will end up with a completely different muffin.
Eggs- Use large eggs at room temperature
Butter and Oil- The combination of the butter and oil will add the fat that the muffins need for moisture and flavor. Make sure the butter is melted and cooled!
Buttermilk- I love the flavor that buttermilk brings to these muffins. The acid from the buttermilk will react with baking powder and create a perfect tender texture. If you don't have buttermilk you can make you own with one cup of whole milk and one tablespoon vinegar mixed together and allow it to sit for 10 minutes
Lemon Zest- Adding the perfecting fresh flavor. Make sure to only add the zest, not the juice!
Blueberries- I really love using fresh blueberries for this muffin recipe. You can replace the fresh for frozen but it will change the texture of the muffin.
Step By Step Instructions
Homemade Blueberry Muffins can be made in a short amount of time and no mixer required. Easy, fast and delicious!
- Dry Ingredients - Combine all the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl and gently whisk to combine
- Wet Ingredients - In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, oil, lemon zest and vanilla extract and whisk until fully combined
- Combine the Wet and Dry Ingredients- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients whisking until combined and the batter is smooth. Do not over mix the batter
- Add the Blueberries- Gently fold the fresh blueberries into the muffin batter
- Scoop and Add Crumble Topping- Line the cupcake pan with paper liners and scoop ¼ cup of batter into each mold. Sprinkle the crumble topping over each muffin.
Bake- In a preheated oven, bake the muffins for 14-15 minutes or until the crumble topping is a light golden brown color.
Tips and FAQ'S To Make the Best Blueberry Muffins
Tips to make the perfect muffins every time!
Muffin Size- This recipe is calculated for a regular muffin size, but these muffins can be made in a mini muffin pan or a large muffin pan. You will need to adjust the baking time, but they will still taste delicious!
Fresh Vs. Frozen Blueberries- Some recipes work great with frozen blueberries, but in this one I love the flavor and texture that the fresh blueberries bring. If you don't have or can't get fresh blueberries, frozen will work great and still create a delicious muffin.
Gluten Free Muffins- This recipe is made with all-purpose flour, but can be substituted with the 1 for 1 gluten free flour.
More Muffin Recipes You Will Love
Thank you for visiting Joy + Oliver. If you tried this recipe, please leave a 5 Star Review in the recipe card and save all your favorite recipes to Pinterest!
Best Homemade Blueberry Muffins
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter Melted
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cups Fresh Blueberries
- ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 4 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter Melted
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and prepare a muffin pan with paper liners; set aside
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, melted butter, lemon zest and vanilla extract
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently whisk until fully combined and batter is smooth (don't over mix)
- Using a spatula, fold the fresh blueberries into the muffin batter
- Fill the muffin liners with ¼ cup of batter into each
- Make the Crumbling Topping: combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix until fully combine and turns into a crumble
- Evenly divide the Crumble Topping and sprinkle it on top of each muffin
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 14-15 minutes
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool
- Eat warm or at room temperature and store then remaining muffins in an air tight container for 2-3 days