Stay in and make Valentine's Day extra special with your favorite meal and the most decadent Flourless Molten Chocolate Cake. Naturally gluten-free and made with only six ingredients, this molten lava cake has the elements of a classic chocolate cake and a soufflé mixed together.
We all love going to a restaurant to get a perfectly plated and flavorful meal, a nice cocktail, and of course a fancy dessert. But sometimes cozying up at home takes the cake, especially when you can make your own gourmet dessert!
Chocolate Molten Cakes, also known as chocolate molten lava cakes, are seen on a variety of restaurant menus and now you can make the best one yet in your own kitchen. These lovely little desserts have a cake-like texture on the outside, gooey chocolate lava on the inside, and are made with only six ingredients. This gourmet dessert will be a chocolate lover's dream. Although you can really enjoy these molten cakes any day of the year, I think they are especially appropriate for Valentine's Day. If you combine these with a Valentine's Dessert Board, you'll be set for the best party with friends or a low-key celebration with your love!
Chocolate- Semi-sweet chocolate chips for the rich chocolate flavor
Butter- Unsalted butter gives the cake its perfect moisture
Sugar- Granulated sugar to sweeten the cakes
Cornstarch- To give the cake its tenderness
Eggs- 4 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks
- Spray your ramekins (I use these) with non stick cooking spray or brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cocoa powder
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and butter and microwave 30 seconds at a time until melted and smooth; set aside
- In a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment, combine the granulated sugar, corn starch, and melted chocolate mixture and mix on low until combined
- Slowly add in the eggs and egg yolks and mix on medium until incorporated
- Pour the batter into a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to let the batter thicken
- While the batter is chilling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place ramekins on a baking sheet
- When the batter has chilled, scoop it into the ramekins and fill them ¾ full
- Bake 20-22 minutes, until the sides of the cakes look baked but the center still looks soft
- Allow the cakes to cool for 2-3 minutes
- Serve in the ramekins or place a plate on the top of each ramekin and turn over so the cake releases from the ramekin
- Garnish with fresh fruit or ice cream and serve immediately
Tips & FAQS for The Best Flourless Molten Chocolate Cakes
- If you don't have ramekins you can use a muffin pan that is coated in melted butter and cocoa powder
- Bake them right before you are ready to serve them for the best molten experience
- If you bake in advance and warm them to serve, they will still taste great but won't be as liquid in the center
- These Flourless Molten Chocolate Cakes are naturally Gluten Free!
- There are so many garnish options: fresh raspberries, strawberries, mint, ice cream, whipped cream, caramel sauce to name a few!
Yes, you can prepare the batter and place in an air-tight container in the fridge 2-3 days before you plan to serve them. When you are ready to bake them, allow the batter to come to room temperature and bake 18-20 minutes before you are ready to serve!
More Chocolate Recipes You Will Love
Thank you for visiting Joy + Oliver. If you tried this recipe, please leave a 5 Star Review in the recipe card and save all your favorite recipes to Pinterest!
The Best Flourless Molten Chocolate Cake
- 1 ¼ Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate
- ¾ Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Egg Yolks
Prepare the Ramekins
- Spray the individual Ramekins with non stick cooking spray or brush them with melted butter and sprinkles with cocoa powder to ensure cakes will come out of the ramekins
Prepare the Flourless Molten Chocolate Cake Batter
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl; microwave on high for 30 second increments until the chocolate and butter are melted and smooth; set aside
- In a mixing bowl with paddle attachment, combine the granulated sugar and corn starch and pour the melted chocolate into the mixing bowl and continue mixing on low speed until fully combined
- Slowly add the eggs and egg yolks to the chocolate mixture and mix on medium speed until all eggs are incorporated
- Pour the batter into a bowl or container and refrigerate for 30 minutes (the batter will thicken)
- While the batter is chilling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place the prepared ramekins on a baking sheet
Bake the Flourless Molten Chocolate Cakes
- Scoop the batter into ramekins and fill ¾ full
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the sides of the cake looks baked but the center still looks soft
- Remove the ramekins from the oven and allow them to cool for 2-3 minutes
- Serve the cakes in the ramekins or gently place an inverted plate on the top of each ramekin and turn over (these will be hot so be careful)
- Once the cake releases from the ramekins, garnish with fresh raspberries and mint and serve immediately!
- If you would like to prepare these ahead of time, make the batter 2-3 days before your event and place in an air tight container in the refrigerator
- When you are ready to use, allow the batter to come to room temperature, scoop the batter into ramekins on the day of your event and then bake 18-20 minutes before you are ready to serve!
- If you bake the batter when it is cold, it will require a longer baking time (approximately 25 minutes)