No Christmas table is complete without dessert, and I sometimes plan more for the dessert than the actual meal. The last bite of the evening is very important and will leave a lasting impression on your guests.
Gâteau Mille Crêpes is a classic French cake that translates to “thousand crêpe cake.” And while the cake may not actually include a thousand crepes (more like 20), the paper-thin crepes are piled high and dramatically. Each layer can be filled with pastry cream, whipped ganache, jams or curd. The ratio of cream to crepe is really what makes this dessert so spectacular, and once you slice and serve, your guests will be in total awe. I’ve created this recipe with chocolate, hazelnut spread and sugared cranberries, which are also great for snacking on their own.
Chocolate Hazelnut Crepe Cake with Sugared Cranberries
- 1 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 2 TBSP Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 6 Tbsp Butter, Melted
Chocolate Hazelnut Whipped Ganache
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Semi Sweet Chocolate
- 1/2 Cup Hazelnut Spread
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup water
- 2 Cups Cranberries
- Sugared Cranberries
- Shaved Chocolate
- Toasted Hazelnuts
- In a blender combine flour, sugar, salt, milk, egg and melted butter
- Puree the mixture until smooth, approx. 30 seconds
- Pour batter into a medium bowl and let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the batter has rested, whisk it before using
- Heat 10” crepe pan or skillet and brush with butter just to coat the bottom
- Pour 1/3 cup of batter into the pan and swirl it around until the batter covers the bottom of the pan
- Cook the crepe until it has a very light golden underside
- Remove the pan from the heat and loosen the crepe edges using a spatula
- Layer each piece with parchment and set aside until ready to use.
Whipped Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache
- In a small bowl place the chocolate chips and hazelnut spread
- In a sauce pan warm heavy cream until starts to bubble around the edge. (do not bing it to a full boil)
- Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chip and hazelnut spread and let the mixture sit for 2-3 minutes
- Whisk the chocolate mixture until smooth and shiny
- Allow the ganache to cool to room temperature
- Pour the ganache into the bowl of the mixer and whisk on medium speed until the ganache is light and fluffy (do not over mix)
- In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar and bring to a boil
- Once the sugar is dissolved shut the heat off and remove from the stove.
- Pour fresh cranberries into the simple syrup and gently stir.
- Allow the cranberries to sit in the simple syrup for 10 minutes
- Remove the cranberries from the simple syrup and lay them on parchment paper keeping them all separated.
- Once the cranberries have cooled off, dredge them in granulated sugar
- Serve immediately and Enjoy!
- Very gently layer the crepe with the whipped ganache
- once all the crepe layers are completed, top the final crepe with whipped ganache and garnish with sugared cranberries, toasted hazelnuts and shaved chocolate!
- Serving Size: 8