Peach season calls for the perfect Peach Almond Galette! A rustic style tart made with a cream cheese dough, frangipane almond cream filling and fresh sliced peaches makes for one awesome summer dessert!
We are in the peak of peach season and there is no denying that they are juicy, sweet and perfect for every dessert you can imagine! I love a simple dessert that brings out the fresh flavors of peaches and is easy to make in your home! Peach Almond Galette is one of those desserts that gives you fancy flavors but in a rustic and handmade style tart, with the creamiest frangipane (almond cream) filling, fresh sliced peaches and sliced almonds for garnish.
A galette is a fun way to free form your favorite tart. Using a cream cheese dough for this Peach Almond Tart adds a really great flavor and a slightly more tender dough than just a classic pie dough. I love the rustic style of this tart giving it a much for casual feel and perfect for summer!
How To Make A Peach Almond Galette
Cream Cheese Dough
The cream cheese dough is the base for this Peach Almond Galette and creates a slightly different texture and flavor than a classic pie dough. You can definitely substitute a classic pie dough recipe in for this galette but the cream cheese dough really goes great with the fresh peach flavor. This dough can be made in a mixer using a method of cutting the butter and cream cheese into the flour to create a small pea size crumble. Once that texture is achieved adding water will bring the dough together. This dough needs to be chilled for approximately thirty minutes and then can be rolled out into a disk to start forming the galette.
Frangipane is a sweet filling made with almond paste and can be used in so many different desserts, but I love frangipane as a filling in tarts. The frangipane combined with fresh peaches and cream cheese dough makes the perfect combination.
August is peak season for peaches and they are so great for enjoy on their own or in a dessert. I love the fact that the galette has simple flavors and really lets the peach flavor shine through. Using fresh peaches is by far better than frozen, but you do need to take the steps to remove the skin. Here is the quickest and cleanest way to remove the skin from a peach. Using a sharp knife, create a cross on the bottom of each peach, drop the peaches in a pot of bowling water for one minute, remove the peaches from the water and place them in an ice bath until cooled off. Once the peaches are cooled, peel the skin off, slice the peaches in half, remove the pit and continue slicing into one inch pieces. Adding light brown sugar and lemon zest will enhance the flavor and flour will thicken the juice that the peaches create.
Peach Almond Galette
Cream Cheese Pie Dough
1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
½ teaspoon Salt
½ Cup Unsalted Butter, Cold
4 ounces Cream Cheese, Cold
2-3 Tablespoons Cold Water
Frangipane (Almond Cream)
1/2 Cup Almond Paste
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
3 Tablespoon Butter, unsalted
2 Tablespoon Cake Flour
3 Peaches, peeled, seed removed and sliced
¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Zest of 1 Lemon
¼ Cup Sliced Almonds
1 Tablespoon Sugar in the Raw
Cream Cheese Pie Dough
1. In a mixing bowl with paddle attachment, combine the flour and salt together
2. Turn the mixer on low speed and slowly add in the cold and cubed butter and cold and cubed cream cheese
3. Once all the butter and cream cheese are incorporated, keep the speed on low until the flour resembles coarse crumbs
4. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the dough is the right consistency and begins to form a ball
5. Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and press the dough ball into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes
1. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer with paddle attachment
2. Add almond paste and cream together until fully combined
3. Add egg to the almond paste mixture and mix until incorporated
4. Add in cake flour and mix until there are no lumps and all ingredients have come together
5. Use immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to use
1. Remove the skin of the peaches: slice a cross on the bottom of the peach, place the peaches in boiling water for one minutes and using a slotted spoon transfer the peaches to an ice bath (bowl of ice and water) until they are cooled down. Starting at the cross, remove the skin of the peach
2. Cut the peach in half and remove the seed; slice into 1 inch thick pieces
3. In a medium bowl combine the peach slices, light brown sugar, flour, vanilla extract and lemon zest; stir to combine
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Once the pie dough has chilled for 30 minutes, flour the surface and roll the cream cheese pie dough out to 12 inches round
3. Place the 12 inch disk of dough on a baking sheet and spread the frangipane (almond cream in the center of the pie dough, leaving about a one inch perimeter
4. Scoop the Peach Filling into the center of the pie dough to cover the frangipane filling
5. Fold the edges of the pie dough in to form the Peach Almond Galette
6. Using a pastry brush, egg wash the pie dough and sprinkle the wet egg wash with sliced almonds and sugar in the raw
7.Bake the Peach Almond Galette for 25-30 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and cooked through
8. Allow the Galette to cool for 10 minutes to allow the filling to set before serving!
1 teaspoon water
Whisk together and using a pastry brush, brush on the dough of the galette before it is baked