The holidays are nearly here and we must start prepping our kitchens for our Thanksgiving feast! Although you might think it is easier to buy your pie crust this year, I challenge you to make your own. It seems intimidating to get the perfect crust, but with a little bit of love and attention, you will impress your guests with a buttery and flakey pie (and you will never buy store bought dough again!)
A few things to remember as you are making pie dough:
1. I prefer to make my dough in a food processor or using a pastry cutter to allow the butter to stay cold and create a crumble texture rather than a creamed butter.
2. Cut butter into small cubes and keep in the freezer until ready to use
3. Do not over knead the dough...it will get very tough and will be hard to roll out
4. Make sure to chill the dough for at least 2 hours or overnight before using
5. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface
6. Bake in your favorite pie plate & ENJOY!
The Perfect Pie Dough
- Pie Dough
- 2 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter, chilled and cubed into small pieces
- ¼ Cup Ice Water
- Place flour, salt, and sugar into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Slowly add the chilled and cubed butter to the flour mixture and pulse in between each addition until it looks like course meal
- Continue pulsing and add ice cold water at a slow stream and process until the dough comes together into a ball
- Remove the dough from the food processor and place on a floured surface
- Knead the dough until fully combined and reaches the perfect consistency (add flour if needed)
- Divide the dough in half and wrap each piece with plastic wrap and refrigerate for approximately 2 hours or overnight
- Remove the dough and let it sit out for 20 minutes to slightly soften but the dough needs to remain cold
- Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured surface to ⅛” thick and place in pie pan of your choice
- Bake pie dough according to the pie recipe of your choice.
- Yields: 1 9” Double Crust Pie
- 2 9” Single Crust Pies
- 8-12 3” Individual Pies