An easy and delicious pasta salad that can be served warm or at room temperature. Mediterranean Shrimp Orzo Salad is made with orzo pasta, basil pesto, sautéed garlic shrimp, feta cheese and an assortment of vegetables that makes this a colorful and flavor packed summer salad to enjoy with friends and family!
One of my all time favorite salads, side dishes or meals. Mediterranean Shrimp Orzo Salad has been enjoyed in our kitchen for many many years and it is a recipe that we never get tired of. It is quick to make and can be enjoyed as an easy weeknight dinner or the perfect side dish for your summer outdoor entertaining.
The mediterranean flavors shine through the orzo pasta with the sautéed garlic shrimp, basil pesto, feta cheese and a colorful assortment of veggies.
If you are entertaining or enjoying an easy summer meal, pair this mediterranean orzo salad with our favorite Frosé recipe.
Orzo- Also known as "Risoni" is a short cut pasta that is perfect for a pasta salad!
Pesto- Store bought or homemade, traditional pesto is made with basil leaves, olive oil, parmesan cheese and sometimes pine nuts. This adds so much delicious flavor to this mediterranean pasta salad.
Shrimp- Sautéed in garlic and olive oil, shrimp is the perfect protein for this mediterranean salad. You can always substitute it out for another protein if you choose, but shrimp is our go to!
Veggies- A combination of cherry tomatoes, fresh baby spinach and black olives are added to this salad.
Feta Cheese- Keeping it mediterranean, the crumbled feta cheese adds a salty touch that comes through in every bite. If you don't love feta or don't have it on hand, parmesan cheese is also a great alternative.
How To Make The Best Shrimp Orzo Salad
Prepare The Orzo Pasta
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt. Once the water is boiling, add the orzo pasta into the water and cook the pasta until the noodle is tender. Drain the pasta and pour it into a serving bowl and stir in the basil pesto
Add The Spinach
Immediately add in the fresh spinach leaves and stir until leaves are wilted
Add the sliced black olives, sliced cherry tomatoes, garlic shrimp (and oil from shrimp) and feta cheese and mix until all ingredients are fully combined
Garnish and Serve
I love to garnish the top of my salad with an additional sprinkle of feta cheese and a fresh basil leaf! Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy!
FAQS About Shrimp Orzo Salad
Some people might mistake orzo for rice, but it is a form of pasta. It is a shorter pasta that is also known as Risoni. It is made from semolina flour and makes the most delicious pasta salads or also perfect with butter and cheese for a simple meal! There is a gluten free Orzo that can be substituted if you are needing a Gluten Free Pasta Salad.
I love this salad warm, but room temperature is also a great options and tastes just as good!
This salad is a great leftover meal and actually the next day it is even better. The flavors have really absorbed into the noodles and it is so delicious. Store the leftovers in an airtight container and then warm the orzo salad in a microwave when you are ready to enjoy.
More Summer Savory Recipes You Will Love
Thank you for visiting Joy + Oliver. If you tried this recipe, please leave a 5 Star Review in the recipe card and save all your favorite recipes to Pinterest!
Mediterranean Shrimp Orzo Salad
Sautéed Garlic Shrimp
- 30 Shrimp Peeled, Deveined and Tall Off
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Pepper
Orzo Pasta Salad
- 2 Cups Orzo Pasta
- ¼ Cup Basil Pesto
- 1 Cup Fresh Baby Spinach Leaves
- 1 Cup Black Olives Sliced in Half
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes Sliced in Half
- 1 Cup Crumbled Feta
Prepare Sautéed Garlic Shrimp
- In a large skillet warm the olive oil over medium heat
- Add the chopped garlic and shrimp to the oil and season with salt and pepper
- Cook the shrimp until they are pink all the way through, approximately 3-4 minutes
- Remove the shrimp from the heat and set aside until ready to mix into the orzo pasta salad
Prepare The Orzo Pasta Salad
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt
- Once the water is boiling, add the orzo pasta into the water and cook the pasta until the noodle is tender
- Drain the pasta and pour it into a serving bowl and stir in the basil pesto
- Immediately add in the fresh spinach leaves and stir until leaves are wilted
- Add the sliced black olives, sliced cherry tomatoes, garlic shrimp (and oil from shrimp) and feta cheese and mix until all ingredients are fully combined
- Optional: Garnish with additional feta cheese and a basil leaf
- Serve warm or at room temperature, enjoy!