Spicy French 75 Cocktail is a refreshing, citrusy and spice infused cocktail that is finished off with some bubbly. Gin, lemon juice, jalapeño infused simple syrup and champagne are the perfect combination for this sparkling holiday drink.
A classic cocktail with a twist, Spicy French 75 is the perfect holiday drink that is refreshing and bubbly at the same time. If there is a celebration that calls for champagne, a French 75 is a great alternative that has an old fashion fancy feel. A mix of citrus and sweet, this cocktail is best served in a coupe glass.
The French 75 cocktail was first created during World War I in a bar in Paris. It is made with your favorite gin, fresh squeezed lemon juice, simple syrup and a splash of champagne. While you sip, snack on our favorite Citrus Marinated Olives.
If you love champagne cocktails, check our our favorite Raspberry Sorbet Champagne Cocktail or Pomegranate Champagne Spritzer.
Gin-A classic dry gin is all you need!
Lemon-Lemon juice and lemon rind will be used in this citrus infused cocktail. Using a vegetable peeler, feel the lemon rind into a strip, cut off the jagged edges and wrap the rind around a straw to make the perfect twist! Then squeeze the juice for the cocktail
Simple Syrup-Homemade or store bought, Spicy Simple Syrup will a the perfect kick to this cocktail. I love this Gris Gris Basil Habanero Syrup to keep in the bar or perfect for gifting.
Champagne-Choose your favorite Brut Champagne
Garnish- Adding a festive garnish of fresh basil, pomegranate seeds and lemon rind twist will make this as beautiful as it is delicious!
- Fill and Shake- In a cocktail shaker filled half with ice, add the gin, lemon juice and simple syrup; shake until fully combined
- Champagne and Garnish-Pour the gin mixture into your glass, top off with champagne and garnish with a basil leaf, pomegranate seeds and a lemon rind twist
- Serve and enjoy!
Tips To Making The Best French 75
Make It A Classic
If you are more a traditional cocktail drinker, remove the jalapeños from the simple syrup and make this a classic French 75 Cocktail!
Making your own simple syrup is so quick and easy. Using only two ingredients, sugar and water, you will have it done in no time. I also love keeping fun flavored simple syrups on hand for cocktail making or great gifts. Gris Gris Habanero Basil Syrup is a delicious addition to this and many other cocktails!
More Cocktails You Will Love
Thank you for visiting Joy + Oliver. If you tried this recipe, please leave a 5 Star Review in the recipe card and save all your favorite recipes to Pinterest!
Please visit us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for more of our favorite recipes that you will love!
Spicy French 75 Cocktail
- 1 ½ Ounces Gin
- ¾ Ounce Fresh Lemon Juice
- ½ Ounce Spicy Simple Syrup Store Bought or Homemade
- 2-3 Ounces Champagne
- Garnish: Lemon Peel, Basil Leaf and Pomegranate Seeds
Spicy Simple Syrup
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper Sliced
- In a cocktail shaker filled half with ice, add the gin, lemon juice and simple syrup; shake until fully combined
- Pour the gin mixture into your glass, top off with champagne and garnish with a basil leaf, pomegranate seeds and a lemon rind twist
- Serve and enjoy!
Spicy Simple Syrup
- In a small sauce pan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil
- Lower the heat to medium, add in the sliced jalapeños and allow the syrup to simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened
- Strain the jalapeños and pour the Spicy Simple Syrup into a glass jar
- Place the jar in the refrigerator and allow the syrup to cool completely before using
Kristen Massad says
One of our favorite cocktails for the holiday season! hope you enjoy it!