These are my favorite Spritz Cookies that are from my Italian Grandmas recipe book! This delicious sugar cookie dough can be piped into all different shapes and sizes and is even better when dipped in chocolate.
For the whole month of December my kitchen is filled with cookies that are being enjoyed by our family, shared with friends or even used for our favorite cookie exchange party. Italian Tea Cookies are perfect for every occasion and are not overly sweet, but the Italian Spritz Cookie is one of my all time favorites and I love the addition of chocolate and sprinkles!
What is a Spritz Cookie
What is a spritz cookie? A name that might not be common to most, but when you see them, you know them. A buttery cookie that holds its shape when piped or pressed can be made into trees, stars, or piped into a simple log, dipped in chocolate and garnished with colorful sprinkles. This cookie will melt in your mouth and add color to your holiday table! Whether you are using a cookie press or a piping bag with a star tip, Spritz Cookies are super festive.
More Holiday Cookies You Will Love
Thank you for visiting Joy + Oliver. If you tried this recipe, please leave a 5 Star Review in the recipe card and save all your favorite recipes to Pinterest!
Italian Spritz Cookies
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- ½ tsp Almond Extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2-4 Tbsp Whole Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a mixing bowl with paddle attachment, cream together the butter and powdered sugar
- Add in egg yolks one at a time, almond extract and vanilla extract to the butter and beat until fluffy; scrape down sides in between each addition
- Add flour to the mixing bowl and beat until the batter in combined
- Slowly add in milk to the dough, one tablespoon at a time until the dough is at a good piping consistency (the dough will be thick)
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag with star tip or to a spritz cookie press
- Pipe or press the dough onto the prepared sheet pans and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden brown
- Dip the cookies in melted chocolate and garnish with colorful sprinkles!
- Makes 5 dozen