Mediterranean Lamb Flatbread is a savory combination of spices and herbs, ground lamb, mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of feta cheese on naan bread and grilled for the perfect appetizer or weeknight dinner.
Weeknight summer dinners or fun appetizers for a crowd must be quick, simple and anything that can be grilled is a bonus! Mediterranean Lamb Flatbread is the perfect combination of gourmet flavors with the ease of using delicious naan bread as the crust. I love the soft texture of naan bread and the versatility of being able to grill or bake it in the oven and you can top it with a variety of flavors.
The mediterranean flavors that make this bread extra special is the distinct flavors of ground lamb mixed with cumin and coriander. There is also the perfect amount of middle eastern spice blend called Za'atar that adds an herb flavor which pairs so well with the mozzarella cheese and the crumbled feta cheese.
Naan Bread-Naan is a leavened flatbread that is most commonly found in western and central Asia and Indian cuisine. It is a perfect size and a quick base for a delicious flatbread and even better right off the grill. If you prefer to make your own dough, you can definitely use a traditional pizza dough or flatbread dough for this recipe as well!
Ground Lamb-I love the flavor and aroma of ground lamb. If you can't find ground lamb or don't love lamb you can easily substitute ground beef and it will taste great.
Spices- A combination of spices makes up the delicious mediterranean flavors. The meat is sautéed with cumin and coriander. The naan bread is seasoned with Za'atar, which is a blend of dried herbs made up of oregano, marjoram, thyme and sesame seeds. This blend can be store bought at mediterranean markets or can be blended up on your own. The meat is sautéed with cumin and coriander as w
Cheese-A combination of shredded mozzarella cheese and feta cheese are sprinkled on the flatbread. The mozzarella cheese is added before grilled and the feta cheese is sprinkled on after grilling.
Cilantro-Adding a fresh herb flavor is the perfect way to finish off this Lamb Flatbread. I love the way cilantro has a pop of flavor but you replace the cilantro with parsley if you don't love cilantro.
What is Za'atar Spice Blend?
A savory blend of spices and dried herbs that originates from the Middle East. Each region and area has different blends but the base is pretty much the same. A combination of oregano, thyme, marjoram and sesame seeds, this blend of spices and herbs is great on pretty much everything.
Tips To Make The Best Grilled Flatbreads
On The Grill or In The Oven
The best thing about this naan flatbread is that is best grilled, but really good straight from the oven as well! If you don't have a grill or need to make this indoors, an oven at 400 degrees F will work great.
I love serving Lamb Naan Flatbread as an appetizer for a small or large crowd or the perfect weeknight summer dinner. Once the flatbread is grilled, serve it immediately while warm with Tzatziki sauce or a drizzle of creme fraiche.
More Summer Recipes You Will Love
Thank you for visiting Joy + Oliver. If you tried this recipe, please leave a 5 Star Review in the recipe card and save all your favorite recipes to Pinterest!
Mediterranean Lamb Flatbread
- 4 Naan Flatbread
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove Chopped
- 1 lb Ground Lamb
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Za'atar Spice Blend
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ Cup Red Onion Sliced thin
- ¼ Cup Cilantro Leaves Chopped
- 1 Cup Feta Cheese Crumbled
Prepare the Spiced Lamb
- Preheat the grill to 400 degrees or medium-high heat
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and garlic and saute for one minute
- Add the ground lamb to the pan and saute until browned and cooked through
- Add the tomato paste, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper to the meat and continue stirring and cooking for 2 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside
Prepare the Flatbread
- Layout the naan flatbread on a baking sheet
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil on the 4 Naan Flatbreads and sprinkle with the Za'atar Spice Blend on the top of each of them
- Divide the shredded mozzarella and sprinkle it to cover the top of each of the naan bread
- Add the ground spiced lamb on the top of the mozzarella cheese and top with thin slices of red onion
- Once the grill is hot, place the 4 Lamb Naan Flatbreads on the grill, close the grill top and cook until they start to turn golden brown in color and the cheese is melted (5-8 minutes)
- Remove the Lamb Flatbreads from the grill and place them on a serving platter or board
- Sprinkle the top of the grilled flatbreads with feta cheese and cilantro leaves and serve warm with Tzatziki Sauce