Made with only four ingredients, the creamiest and fluffiest Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is the perfect addition to your favorite cakes, cupcakes or sandwiched between cookies. This frosting is the ulitmate birthday cake frosting and can be made in under eight minutes!
Every celebration in our family calls for a birthday cake with vanilla buttercream frosting. This is our go to frosting no matter what cake flavor is chosen.
This is truly the Best Vanilla Buttercream Frosting and it is so smooth and creamy, thick enough to pipe on cupcakes or spread on a cake and it goes so perfectly with a classic vanilla cake, a decadent chocolate cake, or used as a filling for cookie sandwiches or our favorite french macarons. Vanilla buttercream is so versatile and can be used in so many different ways, but ultimately this is the best icing for your traditional birthday cake.
Be inspired to choose your favorite food coloring and mix it into this frosting to create a festive decorative themed cake.
Unsalted Butter- Unsalted versus Salted butter could vary the flavor of your recipe so I always recommend unsalted so that you can control the amount of salt being added into your recipe.
Powdered Sugar (aka Confectioners Sugar )- This sugar is the sweetener for the vanilla buttercream. Using powdered sugar also thickens the buttercream and gives it a perfect texture for icing and piping.
Vegetable Shortening- Vegetable shortening is going to add stability to the frosting. Without shortening the Vanilla Frosting will stay extremely soft and will not hold up to a warm climate.
Vanilla Extract- This frosting is very simple and the only really added flavor to this recipe is Vanilla Extract. Using store bought vanilla extract is a great way to get added flavor into this recipe, but making Homemade Vanilla Extract will make it even better.
This buttercream will be made with only two quick steps!
- Cream together the room temperature unsalted butter, shortening and vanilla extract until it is smooth and creamy
- Slowly add in the sifted powdered sugar to the butter mixture and mix on medium to high speed for 2-3 minutes or until the frosting is light, fluffy and smooth
- Remove the frosting from the mixing bowl and store it in an air tight container until you are ready to use it
Expert Tips and FAQ's
Room Temperature Ingredients-It is very important that the ingredients are room temperature before using. This will ensure that the frosting is smooth and creamy and does not have chunks of butter.
Make Ahead-The vanilla buttercream frosting can be made in advance to save time on the day your need to ice and decorate your cake. If you make the frosting ahead, refrigerate it and then take it out about 30 minutes before you are going to use it to soften.
Do Not Over Whip- Over mixing the vanilla buttercream will create air bubbles that are hard to get rid of and will show up when you are icing a cake. Once the frosting is fully combined and creamy, continue mixing with a spatula to avoid the bubbles.
Yes! This is the perfect vanilla buttercream to add food coloring to and ice and decorate your favorite cakes.
This is an American style buttercream that is made using a creaming method. French and Swiss buttercream is made using a meringue method and has a completely different flavor profile and is much less sweet.
Ways To Use Vanilla Buttercream
Thank you visiting Joy + Oliver. If you tried this recipe, please leave a 5 Star Review in the recipe card and save all your favorite recipes to Pinterest!
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 2 Cups Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 8 Cups Powdered Sugar sifted
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a large mixing bowl with paddle attachment combine butter, shortening and vanilla extract
- Cream together until smooth
- Slowly add powdered sugar and mix on low until combined
- Speed up the mixer to medium-high until icing is thick and smooth
- Store in airtight container until ready to use or store in the refrigerator